Monday 2 April 2012

Cranberry Hot Cross Buns


Apart from a not so good attempt in Home Economics class when I was about 13, I have never made hot cross buns until this year.

I had no idea what I was missing out on.

The recipe I used is a recipe I adapted from the Thermomix Everyday cookbook. I love hot cross buns. I hate citrus peel, so I left it out. You could of course put some in, if you like that sort of thing.

Ingredients for Buns:
250g warm milk
500g bakers flour
2 tsp salt
90g butter
50g sugar
1 egg
2 sachets dry yeast (or about 4 tsp)
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 ground cloves
90 g sultanas
80 g dried cranberries

Method:
Place milk in Tm Bowl and cook for 50 second speed 1 90 degrees C.
Place all other ingredients apart from dried fruit into the bowl and mix 6 seconds speed 7. Set lid to closed lid position and knead 3 minutes on dough setting.
Add dried fruit and mix 10 seconds speed 5.
Wrap in thermomat or silpat or place in bowl in warm place and cover. Let prove for about 90 minutes until dough is roughly double in size.
Cut and shape into dinner sized bun rolls - I did 12 rolls, which I found to be a really good size.
Place buns close to each other on lined baking tray and let prove for another 30 minutes, covered.
Pipe with crosses. Bake in pre-heated oven at 220 degrees C for around 15 minutes until golden. Brush with sugar syrup while still warm.


Ingredients for piping mixture:
80g plain flour
1 tsp olive oil
100g water
pinch salt

Method:
Place all ingredients into TM bowl and mix to combine for 30 seconds speed 4 to obtain a pancake consistency. Tip from a friend is to put piping mixture into an old sauce bottle to pipe the crosses on - works brilliantly.


Ingredients for Sugar Syrup:
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp water

Method:
Place both ingredients in the bowl and cook for 2 minutes at 100 degrees C on speed 4.


Try them. 
You will thank me. 
Unless you decide to eat them all.
 In which case you may hate me. 
Don't eat them all. 
At least not all at once....

x Sannah

2 comments:

  1. One of my very favorites at this time of year, and these look so yummy Sannah! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I found your blog while doing a google search for Thermomix - can't wait to try this recipe as I just love cranberries :)

    ReplyDelete