Tuesday 13 September 2011

The Path Less Travelled


I have been blogging on another site, where I have been trying to do posts of a holiday we had two and a half years ago. We were living in England at the time, and got a good last minute deal on a two week Mediterranean cruise. I have been wanting to document this for the boys, as they were only 3 and 6 years old when we went on it, and I would like to help them have as much of a memory of it as possible.

This is one of the pictures that I just came across, that I am fairly sure my husband took, probably of a sunrise. Not enhancement of colours, no filters, this is pure.

This is the stuff dreams are made of.

I sometimes, during the drudgery of day to day life, look at other families and feel like I should be 'keeping up with the Jones', ie, that we should have bought a house by now.

But when I look at pictures like this, I realise that we have just made different decisions.

Our journey has been a scenic and winding one. 

I don't regret any of it. I feel privileged to have had so many choices and opportunities, and for us to have chosen to take the path less travelled.

I hope that I manage to live the rest of my life like this. 

What about you? 
What are some of the really special memories you have?
What are some of the things you have done that have made no financial sense, but you wouldn't trade for anything?


6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous shot.
    I'm sure your boys will appreciated what you have been doing for them on your 'other' blog.

    I make decisions, that make no financial sense way to often. I'd never change a thing. We have fun creating the most awesome memories while doing so!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Me 'N My Monkeys, it's all about the memories isn't it? Regardless of anything else, that's what we are left with. Thanks for your comment :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful picture (those whisky bit across the sunlight are just magical) and what beautiful sentiments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't own a house either. We would love to, but the only way that would be possible for us is if I went back to work, and that is not something we really want to do. We are choosing life just like you, and the road less travelled is a great one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually wish we hadn't bought a house so early on! Now we are beholden to live in this place, and Paul must stay in a job he hates until I can get back to work. If we were renting it would be easier to move, to downsize and for Paul to retrain and get a different job.
    That cruise sounds like it was a fantastic experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post. It is so tempting to try to "keep up with the Joneses". There is always someone else who has what we think we want.

    I'm glad you are doing what is right for you and your family, and not what is "right" for everyone else!

    ReplyDelete