Thursday 19 January 2012

Thermomix (and fear)


At the beginning of 2011 I bought a Thermomix. My blender had finally died, and I was looking for a replacement. I love making soup, and smoothies, so I wanted to get a good one. About 12 months before that, a friend of mine had told me about this crazy machine that she had bought that could do pretty much everything. Needless to say I didn't really believe her. In fact, despite her being one of my favourite people in the world, and someone who I have so much respect for, I thought maybe she had gone a little crazy.

However, over that year I learnt a lot more about them, and saw them on Masterchef. I decided that I wanted one, but couldn't justify it. I thought maybe one day in the distant future our paths would cross. Then we moved to Melbourne. I grieved the loss of my little community in Adelaide. I was miserable. Then my blender broke. I decided that what I really needed was a Thermomix. It would make me happy.

Buying things when I am miserable usually only manages to cheer me up in the short term. My love affair with my Thermomix has been different. My love for it has grown over the course of almost a year now. My passion for cooking has been re-ignited. My children eat far more variety than ever before, and are far more adventurous eaters. My 9 year old said a couple of months ago, I will try *anything* you cook mum. That brought a tear to my eye.

So, at the end of last year I decided to be brave (something I am not very good at), and I decided to become a Thermomix consultant. Unfortunately my training was interrupted by gastro wiping out the family for a couple of weeks, so I am re-starting the training today (arggh!! today!!).

I am excited, because I really do love my thermomix, and want to show it to others. I love cooking, and creating, and want to share this passion with others.

But I am also terrified. Terrified to put myself out there, to be judged, to do demonstrations in front of people, to technically be a 'saleswoman' - I found retail hard enough when I was young! And more than anything, I am terrified of failing. What if I don't get enough sales to make it through the initial period? What if people don't like me and say they don't want demonstrations?

Despite these fears, I am going to give it a go anyway, because I know that I grow when I push myself out of my comfort zone. And, you never know, I might even enjoy it.

image credit

16 comments:

  1. Hello Sannah

    gosh it's been a long time - I've had the intentions please know - just a lot going on.

    I think for you - your words express a lot of peoples fears.
    I think you are in a majority not a minority.

    I am one of those 'strange' beings that happen to like talking to a room of faces on occasions.

    If I may be able to help you:

    Speak to one person in your mind like you are having a normal conversation over coffee.
    Obviously look at the other faces frequently but just keep it simple.
    take your time, take your breath, don't have to waffle but just give the top tips that you (you) wanted to know about.

    "What can it do for me" is the question a buyer has and needs answered.

    there will be skeptics and negatives in the room, keep smiling, keep pleasant and the proof is in the results of the item.

    Everyone is searching for solutions, simplicity and time reduction points for anything they buy for the kitchen not time consuming - so I think you may be able to go with those points.

    I hope I helped you somewhat

    I hope you and your family are well and wishing you a belated happy 2012.


    Have a wonderful day,

    loulou, hereiamloulou blog

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Loulou!
      Thank you so much for such a lovely extensive reply! Thank you for all your suggestions, I will definitely keep them in mind! I guess part of my problem is that I equate sales with being pushy in my mind, and I am not pushy at all. I think I need to allow myself to re-define what I think sales means, and concentrate on the fact that I love my Thermomix and I love cooking, and want to share those passions with others.
      Hope you and your family have a wonderful 2012!
      And hope you have a beautiful weekend!
      x Sannah

      Delete
  2. Good for you! I think someone famous once said "Nothing worth doing is ever done without trepidation" (or something like that...) The Thermommix is SUCH a gratifying tool to use and from what I hear (cuz I'm not a demonstrator) it's even more gratifying to share with others. I bet your sincere enthusiasm will work like a charm to introduce more people to this amazing machine. Oh... did I say "amazing"? I think I must have meant to say "SUPER", lol ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helene! Nice to meet someone else who loves their thermomix! I think you are right, I just need to focus on the fact that I am showing people something I love,
      x Sannah

      Delete
  3. Hi Sannah, that's great to hear you're going to go ahead and become a consultant - you'll love it!! I totally agree with Lou Lou's comments - well said.

    I started off as a consultant (nearly 3 yrs ago) not too sure how I'd go, and have absolutely amazed my husband and family and friends with how well I've done and how much I've 'grown' through it all! I think if you love the product, and love what it produces (deliciously healthy food!!), and you are obviously enjoying youself (which I do!), the Thermomix sells itself :) Have fun!!! I'm sure you'll be great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo,
      Thanks so much for your comment, it really means so much to me. I have been following your blog for a while, and love that you are so obviously passionate about thermomix cooking, and food in general. i find your blog really inspirational!
      I think I need to focus on having fun, and if I do that, everything else should fall into place, thank you so much for your kind words!
      xx Sannah

      Delete
  4. You are a winner already Sannah. WHY? Because you have had your TMX for a while now and have got to know it - many people will gain from your experience. After all, you know more than they do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am I right in saying you are doing this because you "want" to not because you "have" to. This in its self will be an advantage I think because you can sell with passion not need. There will be the doubters and know it alls in every crowd I'm sure but you only need to be your self and Thermie will do the rest. Please keep us posted on how you go as I am looking at becoming a consultant soon too. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Carmen, although the money will definitely be helpful if I manage to sell some, it is not something that I 'have' to do.
      I think I also have to just accept that there will be doubters out there, as you say, but I just have to make sure not to take it personally!
      I will definitely keep you updated! (great to hear that you are thinking of becoming a consultant too!)
      x Sannah

      Delete
  6. We're starting at the same time! I did my Base 1 training on Tuesday too.... were we in the same room I wonder? I'm doing my base 2 training on Monday, then my prac on Tuesday (so I don't have to take a day off work while the others are doing their base 2 on Thursday.)

    We should cheer each other on! I'm a teacher so I have no fear about speaking to people. My main fear is how I'm going to juggle the parenting, job and this business without going insane and/or becoming exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frogdancer,
      Thanks so much for your comment! We weren't in the same room, but great that we are starting at the same time! I am in the north of Melb :)
      Juggling it along with the rest of life is definitely going to be a challenge. Good luck!!
      xx

      Delete
  7. Hi
    Just wanted to follow up to find out how your experience as a consultant over the past year?
    Very curious as to your reply!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zara,
      I quit pretty quickly. I discovered that sales are not for me, at least not direct sales. I met some great people, learnt a lot, and really enjoyed doing the presentations, but found the sales part of it too stressful. That combined with studying law, and being a mum to 3 little people, meant that I felt too many sacrifices were being made for something that I didn't enjoy doing. Overall it was a good experience, and I am glad I did it, but life is much more pleasant (and still very hectic!) with just the Law study and being a mum :)
      x Sannah

      Delete